The update statement is used to update or change records that match a specified criteria. This is accomplished by carefully constructing a where clause.
set "columnname" =
 = optional
[The above example was line wrapped for better viewing on this Web page.]
set area_code = 623
where prefix = 979;
set last_name = 'Smith', prefix=555, suffix=9292
where last_name = 'Jones';
set age = age+1
where first_name='Mary' and last_name='Williams';
Update statement exercises
After each update, issue a select statement to verify your changes.
- Jonie Weber just got married to Bob Williams. She has requested that her last name be updated to Weber-Williams.
- Dirk Smith’s birthday is today, add 1 to his age.
- All secretaries are now called “Administrative Assistant”. Update all titles accordingly.
- Everyone that’s making under 30000 are to receive a 3500 a year raise.
- Everyone that’s making over 33500 are to receive a 4500 a year raise.
- All “Programmer II” titles are now promoted to “Programmer III”.
- All “Programmer” titles are now promoted to “Programmer II”.
Create at least 5 of your own update statements and submit them.
Results will be displayed here